- Two Days of Professional Training
- Hit the Ground Running with Hooks
- Great For All Levels of Knowledge
- Includes Lectures and Class Projects
- So Much Code, Seriously
- Lots of Q&A with Ryan and Michael
- Catered Lunch! (Probably tacos)
What You'll Learn
- React Fundamentals, From a Hooks Perspective
- Hooks History: Motivation, Patterns They Replace
- Simple, Complex, and Shared State Management
- Patterns Hooks Don't Replace
- Thinking In Effects (Not Lifecycles)
- Composing and Sharing Non-Visual Behavior
- Using Hooks for Data and a Suspense Preview
- Performance Considerations and Optimizations
- Animating UI and ... Everything Else
- Keyboard Accessibility and Focus Management
- How to Compose When Refs Are Needed
- Sharing Hook Behavior with Class Components
If you've been working with React in production for a while and are looking to level up, this is it. We’ll revisit the fundamentals of React that you may have skipped in order to get the job done™. Take a step back with us, and then several huge steps forward as we explore the power that hooks give you over your day-to-day code as well as your reusable abstractions. After this, you’ll write code that makes you grin wider than any other code you've written before, composing UI and behaviors with uncommon clarity.
If you're a seasoned React developer, there's no better way to get caught up on Hooks and what it means for your code and team than this workshop. You’ll get priceless insights into how Hooks will help you build great abstractions for your team that will work in new and mature code-bases. Finally, you’ll leave with the vocabulary and real-world examples to help you teach and lead your team to be successful with React in a Hooks world.
About the Instructors
Ryan and Michael have taught React to thousands of developers at hundreds of workshops around the world for the last four years. Their teaching style is engaging, code heavy, and a ton of fun (some have said the events should be billed as standup comedy 😂, but you learn way too much for that to be accurate).
Not only are they great teachers but also experienced practitioners. You know them as the authors of React Router, Unpkg, and Reach UI--all projects that have become staple pieces of the React ecosystem. Outside of the React core team, it’s hard to imagine a couple of people who have influenced React more than these two. You will love learning from them.
What To Expect
Bring your laptop because you’re going to be writing a lot of code. Each day follows a cycle: lecture, exercise, Q&A, break, repeat. Michael and Ryan will provide a ~45 minute live-coding lecture where they introduce a new concept by refactoring some code. Then they turn it over to you to work out an exercise--applying the same concepts from the lecture into a different app. During the exercise, they will wander around the room, giving you time for one-on-one questions and help with the exercise. If you're faster than the rest of the group you’re encouraged to help those around you. The best way to learn is to teach! After that, Ryan and Michael code up a solution and then open it up for group Q&A. You'll learn a lot, have some fun, and meet some great people, too.